Tips For Cooking With Your Little Chef
Cooking with your little chef can seem like a daunting task at first but it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few tips that help create a better experience when cooking with your Little Chef.
1. Choose an age appropriate recipe: Think about how long their attention span is and what activities they naturally enjoy. For toddlers, try to keep the recipes nice and short with not too many steps. For older kids, you can choose a recipe that’s a bit more complex.
2. Establish boundaries and safety: “Danger! Hot! Let a grown up help you for this next step” the number one priority when cooking with kids is safety! For older kids, set ground rules before you start and for little ones, keep things on hand (like a bowl and whisk) to redirect them when they’re bending those boundaries.
3. Expect a mess: that’s about the only expectation you can have when cooking with kids 😅 It’s going to happen but it will be ok. Keep a lot of rags on hand and make a game out of cleaning up as they cook. Cleaning after all is part of the cooking experience.
4. Patience: have lots of it! Choose a time of the day when both you and your little chefs are a bit more relaxed and aren’t tense.
5. Enjoy the moment: So your little chef wanted to add a little extra ingredient here and there? It’s all part of the process ! When cooking with kids, it's important to let go of expectations, stay present and just enjoy the moment .